If you use Microsoft Outlook for reading / responding to emails, you can create an IMAP connection and synchronize your Stamford mailbox with Outlook.
Configuring Outlook for Stamford Email
Configuring Outlook involves 2 steps – enabling IMAP access and adding account to Outlook.
First and foremost you need to enable POP/IMAP access for your Stamford email account.
- Login into the Stamford webmail interface at http://webmail.stamford.edu.
- Click on the Gear Wheel icon towards the top-right of the page and choose Settings.
- Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the IMAP Access section, select Enable IMAP.
- Click on the Save Changes button.
Add Account to Outlook
- Typically in Outlook 2010 / 2013, you can add a new account by visiting File > Info > Account Settings > New.
- In the next screen, select Manual setup or additional server types and click Next.
- Choose POP or IMAP as the service type and click Next.
- The next screen involves entering server & account details.
- Make sure you choose IMAP as the Account Type.
- Incoming mail server should be: imap.gmail.com.
- Outgoing mail server should be: smtp.gmail.com.
- Be sure to enter full username (including the @stamford.edu part) and your password.
Once done, click on the More Settings button.
- Select Outgoing Server tab and turn-on the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication checkbox.
- Select the Advanced tab and set the following details:
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 587
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS
- Click OK to save your settings and then click Next. Outlook will perform some connectivity tests and let you know whether it has been able to connect to your inbound mailbox and send out mails as well.
- Once the tests are completed successfully, you’ll be required to click Next again to finish the setup process.
Your Outlook is now ready to receive and send mails via your Stamford Email.
If you run into any issues with the connectivity, please contact our IT Helpdesk at .