This is a reminder that we’ll be switching over to Office 365 – the new Email & Online Office Suite during the coming week. The cutover date / time is at 6pm on Monday, February 23rd, 2015. That means, starting 6pm on that day, you won’t be able to send or receive mails via the old system (Google Apps) any longer. All email communication from that point onwards need to be done via Office 365.
The local IT team, in conjunction with the Laureate O365 team, will work on migrating your mailboxes between 23rd – 27th February. If you currently use the Gmail web interface for email communication, and all your mails are stored online, you may experience some delay before your old mails start appearing in your new account.
On the other hand, if you use an offline email client like Outlook, all your old mails can be archived and made to appear immediately.
Important information on the migration
- Size of your current mailbox: To ensure a smooth transition you’re requested to trim the size of your mailbox to a maximum of 2GB with individual email attachments not exceeding 25 MB. If you require help on determining your mailbox / attachment sizes, please refer to: https://it.stamford.edu/2014/12/migration-office-365-employees/. Bigger mailboxes means a longer time to migrate and hence you’ll experience significant delays in accessing your old mails.
- New Email Address Format: The new email address format will be ">. For existing users bearing emails in the "> format, will still be able to receive mails at these addresses for a period of 6 months following the migration. At the end of 6 months, the old format emails will be phased out. Kindly utilize this window to update all your contacts about your new email address. If you’re out of name cards and in the process of ordering a new batch, you’re requested to state your new email in the request form.
- Accessing Email via your Smartphone / Tablet: Following the cutover, the current configuration for accessing mails via your smartphone won’t work any longer. We’ll be sending out instructions on reconfiguring your phone to work with the O365 servers. If you require help on this, please get in touch with us.Note: As part of the Laureate Global Compliance Process, upon completion of the roll-out of Office 365, we’ll start enforcing the Mobile Device Security Policy. This prohibits retrieval of Stamford emails on your personal mobile device.
- Retirement of Dropbox and other Cloud Storage / Sync services: In line with our Cloud Storage Policy, access to third-party cloud storage services like Dropbox, Box, Copy etc. will be blocked and all instances of such software will be removed from your workstations. A new file sync and sharing service named OneDrive will be provided as part of the Office 365 suite, with a total online storage space of 1 TB per user. If you have any documents stored in third-party cloud storage services you’ll need to move them over to OneDrive. Please let us know if you require assistance on this.
- Password Synchronization: Our current email system requires you to maintain a separate set of username & password for accessing your inbox. With Office 365, the passwords will synchronize with our central login database. In effect, the same password you use for logging into your laptop or the Wifi portal will also work for your email. If you change your laptop password, the email password will change as well.