IT Services would like to inform you that we will be scheduling an upgrade to our email & calendar system. The upgrade will consist of migration to a new platform named Office 365 from Microsoft and is scheduled to take place between now through February 2015.
In addition to general product fixes and improvements in the stability and performance of our system, the upgrade includes the ability to join the new Laureate email platform (“Laureate Cloud”). As Stamford becomes part of the new Laureate network platform we will be enabling employees to seamlessly communicate both internally with other Stamford employees and across 75+ other Laureate schools/colleges/universities globally as more join the cloud.
Other benefits include:
- Increase of mailbox storage – effectively converting our existing 25GB mailbox storage limit into unlimited mailbox storage.
- Enhancing and increasing security – upscaling our proactive protection against email spams and any potential malicious threats.
- Improved directory and calendar services – ability to search and view contact details (telephone no., office location, line manager and team members information, etc.) of colleagues within Stamford; and scheduling meetings with the ability to view participants’ availability. Resources such as Meeting Rooms can be booked via this system directly. Consequently, our current Meeting Room Booking System at rooms.stamford.edu will be retired after the upgrade has been completed.
Office 365 features in brief
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is this change occurring?
- This upgrade is aimed at helping Stamford take advantage of current and future communication technologies and tools that Laureate has to offer to bring our community closer together.
What does this mean?
- We will be using Laureate Cloud enterprise email platform after the upgrade.
- You will continue to log into Google Apps (Gmail) for access to your email & shared documents on Google Drive for now until the upgrade is completed.
What will change?
- The new email can be accessed both via web mail and via Microsoft Outlook client.
- If you exclusively use Google Apps web mail only (and not Outlook), you will have the option to continuing using a new web mail (with a look and feel similar to Outlook) and/or move to Outlook.
What happens to my email address?
- You will retain your email address
What happens to my old email and calendar entries?
- Stamford IT and Laureate Global IT will transfer your old staff email and calendar to the new Laureate Cloud enterprise mail system.
How do I get support?
- The same way that you always have. If you have any issues, please contact IT Support Team <> during office hours.
Who will be affected?
- This change will only affect all Stamford employees who bear @stamford.edu emails.
What you will need to ensure…
- Remove large emails from your mailbox. All emails in your Inbox that are bigger than 25M will not be migrated to the new system. You must either delete these or remove the attachments. To identify such emails:
After The Upgrade
- You will be able to access your emails via an improved web mail client. The link to the web mail client will be included in the separate email notification, which will be shared during the final stages of the upgrade.
- If you already are using Outlook for your Stamford email, you will be able to continue to do so. IT will verify and provide assistance to ensure that there are no disruptions after the upgrade.
Thank you in advance for your continuous support and we look forward to welcoming you to a more stable, reliable and resilient message platform.